Do you ever have one of those moments where you really need to blog about something, but you can't? Do you ever wish no one you knew was reading your blog? Well if you answered yes to either of those questions then this blog is for you! Read what the contributers post and reflect on that or send Mommy Vent your OMG story and she will post it for you... without anyone knowing who you are. What could be better??

Interested in becoming one of our contributors?? e-mail Mommy Vent at MommyVent@gmail.com Want to learn more about posting and OMG story?? Read the sidebar or e-mail Mommy Vent

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sleep Overs

My kids have never slept anywhere but at home. (not counting family vacations when we all sleep in a hotel) On the off chance that my hubby or I are not home at bed time, my mom watches them at our house, puts them to bed, and waits for us to get home. On the even more rare chance that we are away over night, my mom watches them at our house so they can sleep in their own beds and she sleeps in our guest room. (Do you notice a trend here that my mom always watches the kids and not the MIL?? She never watches our kids for us- but that is another post for another time). So, my kids have never had a sleep over- they have never slept anywhere but home. My theory was that it was always easier for them to be in their familiar environment, in their familiar bed, etc - keep as much normal for them. I'm not against sleep overs, I just thought my kids were too little and would freak out or something. They are only 5 and 2. So my question is -- have your kids had sleep overs? I don't mean school kid fun sleep overs - but when you are not at home at night, what do you do with your kids? Someone come to your house or your kids go to someone else's house? What are your thoughts on the whole thing?

6 comments:

Mommy Vent said...

My kids have not slept at anyone else's house either (well other than when the whole family has been at my in-laws). If we are away, my mother stays with the boys at our house. I too feel the same way as you... they are in their own beds with their own surroundings... one change at a time is more than enough at this stage of life. But, that is just my opinion.

BlogginFromTheEdge said...

We haven't left The Rascal overnight just yet. And thats not for lack of wanting, lol....just haven't had the fortune of getting to go anywhere special. But if/when the time comes I think him staying in his own home only makes sense for his benefit. But he's a daycare kiddo so he's used to sleeping away from home so it might not be a big difference to him afterall.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

We did have my niece babysit sometimes when they were little, and it was at our house but we always came home at night.

If we went out we usually took them to my parents house and then picked them up and came home.

As they got around three, they did have sleepovers at my parents. Just for fun because they liked it and my parents enjoyed it.

It really was great for my kids, I think, in that they became close to their grandparents and it taught them empathy for the elderly as they got older and my parents got older.

I will add that my parents were careful to obey our rules about making sure our kids had a decent bedtime, but we did allow them some leeway (like snacks and stuff, just to make it "fun").

As they got older, we rarely did sleepovers with friends. I just never liked it.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

oooops sorry, I forgot to say this is Nan!

~ Nan

Anonymous said...

I am vey fortunate in the fact that my closest friend has a son who is 4 months older than my son.(They are both 6). They have been the best of friends from the start. So he does stay there alot and vice versa.

My daughter (who is 8) and her 3 musketeers have been having sleepovers since kindergarten.

The baby is the only one who hasn't had a sleepover. However, she has stayed with my mom overnight several times.

My kids never seemed bothered by it.

Anonymous said...

My son is a year and a half and has stayed other places, succesfully. He doesn't sleep in as long other places, but he will sleep. We have also been on 2 vacations with him where he has slept in hotels and someone else's house, with us.
I see both sides of the coin. It is best to have them in their own environment. But getting them used to sleeping somewhere else is also good should an emergency situation comes up. Or you just need a night to yourself in your own bed.
I don't think there is a right or wrong answer.