Do you ever have one of those moments where you really need to blog about something, but you can't? Do you ever wish no one you knew was reading your blog? Well if you answered yes to either of those questions then this blog is for you! Read what the contributers post and reflect on that or send Mommy Vent your OMG story and she will post it for you... without anyone knowing who you are. What could be better??

Interested in becoming one of our contributors?? e-mail Mommy Vent at MommyVent@gmail.com Want to learn more about posting and OMG story?? Read the sidebar or e-mail Mommy Vent

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Speech Frustrations

My son B has been getting speech therapy since March. He has severe articulation issues, to the point where he is veryyyy hard to understand. We are working on clearing up his speech. One major struggle is he is very bright and it shows in his comprehension skills. When he was tested for speech he's language score was in the average range since his receptive language skills were way above level and his expressive were way below so they averaged out to on level.

We have struggled with family members not understanding the challenges of this whole senario. We have some who thought that once he got his tongue tie clipped he would be fine... yeah no! We have some who think he is smart and will just figure it out... yeah no!

My newest challenge is my husband is struggling with accepting the slow progress. He keeps hoping that something will click and B will just be able to talk in a way that we understand. Could this happen... maybe.... but I highly doubt it.

B uses some signs, but is more comfortable trying to get his point across by pointing and trying to talk to you. He is also more willing to talk to me than anyone else. I think it comes from the fact that not only am I the one who is home with him full time, but I am also the one who seems to take the time to listen and help him speak clearly. I make him say the word multiple times to say it clearly. I listen to what he is saying and try to put into context the misunderstood word. I am the one who signs with him the most and the one who teachs him the new signs.

I wish people would take the time to listen to what he is saying and then help him say the word correctly (without doing it in a way that makes him feel like he's doing something wrong). I wish people would attempt to learn his signs and use them. It would help him feel comfortable using them with them. I wish people would understand that this is not a quick fix. That there is a good possiblity that he will still be getting speech therapy when he goes to school.

I wish people understood that I blame myself for some of these issues. That I am protectitve of his feelings and will take any comments about his speech to heart. That I wish I could take my voice and clearity of speech and give it to him. I wish I could do anything to help him... but for now I can't.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Foursons said...

2 of my sons were/are speech delayed. One severely, the other articulation only. It's tough, but with therapy they do catch on. Ignore everyone else, and do what is best for your child. It sounds like you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing to help your son speak clearly. He'll get it, despite what other family members do and say.

And NO, you did not cause the problem. But the problem can indicate other issues. My severely delayed speech son ended up being on the autism spectrum. He too tested superior intelligence in some areas and way below level in others. Not saying that your son is like mine at all, but just be aware.

You're doing great mom, keep it up!

Pam said...

Oh sweety! None of this is your fault! You can't blame yourself- some children just need a little more help to form words or sounds more clearly. B is more comfortable talking to you- that makes sense to me. You are there and you are the one who understands him most so he feels he can get his point across to you. You are doing all the right things! I'm so proud of you and B for all the hard work. I think you did a great job starting him in speech now instead of waiting until school starts for him - think of all the progress he will make between now and then. Good mommy and good B!! :)

*Chrisie* said...

Big hugs! Please don't blame yourself...but I know that is easier said than done. I guess we, as mothers, tend to do that. But you have been pro-active and you've gone the distance and will continue to do so. And B's comfort in speaking with you just goes to show how well he knows your patience. He's really going to appreciate your dedication when he gets older. You are doing an awesome job and B is a lucky, lucky little boy to have you for a mommy!

Scatterbrain Mommy said...

i think as a mom we will always blame ourselves (some what) for any wrongs by our children. and i think dads always want to see the results right away. ur patience is great though. and i am sure B appreciates it.